GP Theatre's Jekyll & Hyde Opens Sunday
Dozens of behind-the-scenes crew members have been working to make the Grosse Pointe Theatre's musical, Jekyll & Hyde, come to life this Sunday, when it opens to the public at the Grosse Pointe War Memorial.
The Grosse Pointe Theatre opens Jekyll and Hyde Sunday after months worth of work on elaborate costumes, stage props and many rehearsals.
The volunteer cast of 24 and behind-the-scenes crew of more than 20 began dress rehearsals this week. Patch joined all of them behind the scenes Tuesday, where the crew performed wig fittings and laced microphone cords and boxes onto the costumes and bodies of the actors.
Nearly all of the costumes for the musical were created using materials, former costumes and props already owned by the theatre, which is not typical, said Co-Producer Cynthia Nehr. For the costumer crew, it meant spending many 14-plus hour days in a sewing room, she said.
Rik Selke, who also helps with hair and makeup, said there were many days with this musical where the crew began hours before the actors arrived and stayed long after into the wee hours of the morning.
After finishing the prepartions for the actors to go on stage Tuesday, he along with others found seats in the auditorium to watch the dress rehearsal. He's volunteered with the theatre for 44 years and offers actors a calm demeanor in the before stage frenzy that goes on behind the scenes.
The elaborate stage sets the scene for the classic musical, which is about the transformation of Jekyll-Hyde and good versus evil.
Opening Sunday at the Grosse Pointe War Memorial, the musical will offer shows for three weekends. The first show is at 2 p.m. Sunday Jan. 15. Tickets are $24 and can be purchased through the theatre's website or at the door.
Other performances include Jan. 19 to 22 and 26 to 28. Sunday shows are at 2 p.m. and evening performances begin at 8 p.m.
The cast includes:
- Alan Canning, of Bloomfield Township -- Jekyll/Hyde
- Sandi Haney, of Royal Oak -- Lucy
- Danielle Caralis, of the Grosse Pointes -- Emma Carew
- Stephen Sussman -- John Utterson
- Peter DiSante -- Danvers Carew
- Frank Scott Davis -- Simon Stride
- Doug Clark, of Royal Oak -- Bishop of Basingstoke
- Eddie Tujaka, of the Grosse Pointes -- General Glossop
- Perry Calisi -- Lord Savage
- Adrian Baliski -- Sir Proops
- Theresa Selvaggio, of Grosse Pointe Farms -- Lady Beaconsfield
- Marcas Leban, of Warren -- Spider
- MaryLynn Bertetto -- Nellie
- Mike Evans -- Poole
- Clif Levin -- Bisset
- Mark Konwinski, Jacquelyne Pfaff, Clare Sawicki, Beth Teagan, Tryette Puentes, Jann Hight, Alexis Mabry, Jessica Tujaka and Zachary Totz -- Chorus