Ken Kal and Kirk Maltby Help the Detroit Red Wings Raise $24K for Salvation Army
Former Red Wing Kirk Maltby, and current announcer Ken Kal, raised $778.84 from donors in St. Clair Shores. They were one of four teams of Detroit Red Wings who raised $24,438.69 for the Salvation Army.
Teams of Detroit Red Wings spread out throughout Metro Detroit this week to raise $24,438.69 for the Salvation Army’s Red Kettle Campaign.
Detroit Red Wings Head Coach Mike Babcock and Executive Vice President and General Manager Ken Holland raised $13,462 for the Salvation Army during their two-hour shift at Hiller’s Market in downtown Northville.
“We can’t thank Ken Holland, Mike Babcock, some of the team's most beloved former players and the entire Detroit Red Wings organization enough for this fantastic event that has helped move us toward our $8.5 million 2012 Red Kettle goal,” said Major Mark Anderson, general secretary and metro Detroit area commander for The Salvation Army Eastern Michigan Division, in a release.
Other teams raised:
- Former players Chris Chelios and Kris Draper finished second with a total of $7,400.85 at Hockeytown Authentics in Troy.
- Former goaltenders Manny Legace and Chris Osgood collected $2,797, staying late to finish signing autographs for the hundreds of fans who showed up at a Kroger in Plymouth.
- Radio play-by-play announcer Ken Kal and former player Kirk Maltby received $778.84 in donations at the Kroger on Harper in St. Clair Shores.
The total of $24,438.69 raised by the four tandems for The Salvation Army was a 42.5 percent increase from last year’s total of $17,150.
This is the seventh season the Detroit Red Wings and The Salvation Army teamed up for the “Red Wings for Red Kettles” initiative. The team has raised nearly $70,000 since 2005 for the effort.
The Salvation Army’s Red Kettle Campaign continues both in stores and on-line. To make a contribution:
- Make a deposit into one of nearly 450 red kettles at storefronts throughout the area through Dec. 24.
- Visit www.salmich.org
- Call 877-SAL-MICH
- Text “GOODMICH” to 80888* (an automatic $10 donation)
- Send a check or money order, made payable to The Salvation Army, to: 16130 Northland Dr., Southfield, MI 48075