Yoga has long been associated with serenity and finding your center.
And, thanks to a new series of classes hosted by St. Clair Shores-based Great Lakes Surf Shop, yogis can find tranquility on local waters.
It takes the exercise away from yoga mats and onto paddleboards, where balancing is more of a challenge.
The first session attracted about 9 people at Burke Park, said Great Lakes Surf Shop co-owner Melanie Rucinski.
"A lot of people weren't sure what to expect. However, it ended up being a lot of laughs and a lot of splashes and a good workout as well," Rucinski said.
When things got too shaky, it wasn't uncommon for someone to fall overboard.
"I've even fallen in a handful of times, which makes it fun," she said.
Anyone is welcome to join, even if they have no prior yoga or paddleboard experience.
The classes are:
- 4:30-5:45 p.m. and 6:30-7:45 p.m. Friday, July 6 at Stony Creek Metro Park, 4300 Main Road, Shelby Township.
- 6-7:15 p.m. Saturday, July 7 at Burke Park, 36300 Front Street in New Baltimore.
- 9-10:15 a.m. Sunday, July 8 at Burke Park.
- 4:30-5:45 p.m. and 6:30-7:45 p.m. Tuesday, July 10 at Stony.
- 8-9:15 a.m. Wednesday, July 11 at Burke.
- 7-8:15 p.m. Friday, July 13 at Burke.
To reserve a spot or for more information, call or email 24 hours prior to the class at 586-306-0951, 586-359-6951 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. The fee is $30 if you have a board and $40 if you need to rent one.