The four-day festival includes performances by cultural groups, a marketplace with items from around the world, activities for children and a Greek taverna with a number of favorites.
“Return of the tried and true traditions as well as exciting new offerings will make this Festival even more outstanding than last year’s," says Assumption GreekFest Co-Chairperson Tom Thomas, said in a release.
Admission is $2 per person, and there is no admission charge for children 12 and under. There is free parking and shuttle service available.
Festival times are 11 a.m. - 11 p.m. Thursday - Saturday, and 11 a.m. - 8 p.m.According to organizers, events planned include:
Thursday, Aug. 15
- International Day: 11 a.m. - 4 p.m. with free admission is free. Various ethnic dance groups will perform and present their cultures including Ardan Academy of Irish Dance/Jesse Chapman and the Italian Chorus. Audience participation of course will be encouraged at end of performances.
- Grand Opening Ceremonies: 6:30 p.m. Area youth will sing the national anthems in Greek and English. Dignitaries will represent the community and Oniero will perform along with the Hellenic Society for the Performing Arts.
Friday, August 16
- Family Day: 11 a.m.-4 p.m. The entire family, including kids, parents, grandparents and aunts and uncles can attend the Festival for free between 11 a.m. - 4 pm. again. Community bands will provide music. Dance and singing contests will provide an opportunity for “stars” to perform.
- At 3 p.m. The Ambassadors, from Cass Community Social Services, will provide inspirational singing and a Motown sound. These talented men, who were at one time homeless or jobless, sing all over the country.
- The grand raffle will be held at 7:30 p.m. Festival-goers will have the chance to win prizes including:
- First prize- A new Honda Accord LX with a two-year pre-paid lease from Festival Grand Sponsor, Jim Riehl’s Auto Group.
- Second prize – Two airline tickets anywhere in the continental United States compliments of Cosmopolitan Travel.
- Four additional cash prizes.