Five pieces of information to get your day started in Grosse Pointe:
1. Rain is likely before 8 a.m. It will remain cloudy well into the afternoon but begin clearing for sunnier conditions with temperatures reaching 81, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight it will remain mostly clear with a low of 68 and possible wind gusts reaching 22 miles per hour.
2. Grosse Pointe Park detectives are continuing their. Charges against two young adult men could come as early as today or possibly later in the week, director says.
3. Congratulations to the Grosse Pointe Park Little Leaguers who celebrated two wins Tuesday. The to continue their bid for the state title. The 11U team won the state title in Midland in a 11-3 game against Midland. An impromptu celebration at Tuesday night was the first celebration. A pep rally is scheduled for tonight at and a police escort through the Village for the 12s International Team is slated for Thursday morning as they leave for Indianapolis to compete in the Great Lakes Regional.
4. A Patch of Michigan Photo contest . Congrats to the Saline woman who took the Jumping Off the Dock photo. She won a $30 restaurant gift certificate. The contest is weekly through Sept. 17 with prizes— to in Dearborn. A grand prize at the end includes a two-night stay at Mission Point Resort on Mackinac Island.
5. The political season is upon us. Candidates have been out and about gathering signatures, some have announced their plans to seek election and some have even already submitted their filing paperwork. The deadline to file is Aug. 16. Those interested in running for school board file in Grosse Pointe Park, and signatures must be gathered separately for residents from each of the five Grosse Pointes. Among the races to watch this political season:
- Board, which has two open seats and far more than two who have announced their intentions.
- City Council, which has all seats open and election results will determine the staggering of seats.
- City Council, which has three open seats and five candidates.
- City Council, which has three open seats as well an expiring term for the municipal judge.
- Council, which has four open seats as well as an expiring term for the municipal judge.