The choreographer for 's performance of Hairspray has been working on the dances for two years leading up to its opening, which is Sunday May 6 at the .
Director and Choreographer Timothy P. Higgins, of Birmingham, reasearched the musical production and worked with more than 120 people who auditioned for the show.
Ultimately, there are 30 cast members in the show, which closes the theatre's 64th season.
Hairspray is the story of a teenager living in Baltimore, Maryland in 1962 who aspires to become a dancer on a popular television show. Her appearance is not appealing to many but those close to her encourage her to pursue her dreams. During her journey, she meets another teen who is African-American and who already performs on the television show as a dancer but only on days the network designated as 'negro day.' The teenager, who learns from the other dancer, wants all of the performers to dance together, regardless of the color of their skin, according to a press release from the Grosse Pointe Theatre.
The first show opens at 2 p.m. Sunday May 6. Tickets are $24.
The remaining show schedule is as follows:
- Thursday May 10 to Saturday May 12, 8 p.m.
- Sunday May 13, 2 p.m.
- Thursday May 17 to Saturday May 19, 8 p.m.
- Sunday May 20, 2 p.m.
In addition to the normal performances, the theatre is offering a Ladies Night Out peformance of Hairspray, Wednesday May 9. Tickets are $45 for this performacne, which is sponsored by the Spirit of Women Beaumont Grosse Pointe. A reception will begin at 5:30 p.m. featuring hors d'oeuvres and food stations as well as a cash martini and wine bar.
Tickets may be purchased online through the theatre's website or by calling, 313-881-4004.
The cast includes:
- Catherine Flores of Warren
- Dennis Wickline of St. Clair Shores
- Don Ross, Jr. of Warren
- Doretha Dorsey of Detroit
- Austin Montgomery of Grosse Pointe Farms
- Pam Montgomery of Grosse Pointe Farms
- Catie Campbell-Cormier of Columbus
- Frank "Scott" Davis of Birmingham
- Kate Dickenson of Pleasant Ridge
- Josiah Christian Baker of Eastpointe
- Angelica Joy Baker of Eastpointe
- Rachel Biber of Huntington Woods
- Jon R. Lechner of Warren
- Micah Houghtaling of Warren
- Stephanie Butler of Grosse Pointe
- Anna Christinidis of Grosse Pointe
- Kristin Schultes of Grosse Pointe
- Nate Turner of Grosse Pointe
- Billy Dixon of Royal Oak
- Sarah Stewart of Clinton Township
- Luke Rose of Harrison Township
The student ensemble includes:
- Paige N. Bennett of Detroit
- Rachel Dearing of Grosse Pointe
- Jay Grenda of Grosse Pointe
- Jerome Manning of Grosse Pointe
- Sidini Goodman of St. Clair Shores
- Donzale Spencer of St. Clair Shores
- Maya Milton and Noelle Milton of Detroit
- Leiah B. Smith of Shelby Township
Behind the scenes:
- Producer: Christine Kaiser of Grosse Pointe
- Musical and Vocal Director: Marie Boyle Reinman of Grosse Pointe Farms
- Co-Choreographer: Marcy Kazmirowski of Warren
- Set Designer: Lois Bendler of St. Clair Shores
- Tech Directors: Don Adzigian of Grosse Pointe Woods and Denny McGiness of St. Clair Shores
- Stage Managers: Mickie Pizzimenti of Warren and Nancy McGiness of St. Clair Shores
- Costumes: Marie DeLong of St. Clair Shores and Vicky Urbanik of Harrison Township
- Make-Up: Theresa Selvaggio of Grosse Pointe Farms and Vonnie Miller of St. Clair Shores
- Lighting: Bob Montgomery of Grosse Pointe Farms and Jef Fisk of Grosse Pointe
- Sound: Eric Vreeland of St. Clair Shores
- Props and Set Dressing: Arlene Schoenherr of St. Clair Shores and Marianne Casey of Troy
- Publicity: Patricia A. Ellis of Grosse Pointe
- Rehearsal Pianist: Bob Foster of Grosse Pointe Park