Grosse Pointe Theatre announces auditions for The Heiress, Saturday, December 1, from 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. and Sunday, December 2, from 1:00 to 40 p.m. at Grosse Pointe Theatre’s rehearsal studio,
315 Fisher Road, Grosse Pointe, MI 48230. The show will be performed March 10, 14-17, 21-23, 2013, at the Grosse Pointe War Memorial.
The Heiress was written by Ruth and Augustus Goetz (adapted from the 1880 Henry James novel, Washington Square).
Set in New York City in the 1850s, The Heiress is the story of Catherine Sloper, the quiet, socially awkward only child of a wealthy and prominent physician. Her father, Dr. Austin Sloper, (still mourning the loss of his lovely, vivacious wife) has little affection for Catherine and is terse in his conversations with her. When Catherine suddenly acquires an avid suitor (the charming Morris Townsend), Dr. Sloper presumes he is a poser, interested only in his daughter’s inheritance. Catherine, torn by longing and passion, must decide for herself whom to believe.
Scripts are available for a refundable $20 deposit. For directions & loan of a script call Grosse Pointe Theatre at 313-881-4004. For more information about the production, contact director Michele Karl: firstname.lastname@example.org or producer Olivia Wickline: 586-773-5914 email@example.com. Go to www.gpt.org for more information about Grosse Pointe Theatre.
• Catherine Sloper: (Lead female), age 30+; sweet-natured, honest.
• Morris Townsend: (Lead male), age 30+; handsome with impeccable manners.
• Dr. Austin Sloper: (Support male), age 55-60, brilliantly successful.
• Lavinia Penniman: (Support female), age 50+; Dr. Sloper’s long-widowed sister who provides comic relief.
• Maria: (Featured), 20+ (age open); parlor maid; cute, sweet-natured.
• Elizabeth Almond: (Featured), age 40+; Dr. Sloper’s other sister, sensible and clever.
• Mrs. Montgomery: (Featured), age 35-40; Morris’ widowed sister.
• Marion Almond: (Non-featured), age 20+; Elizabeth Almond’s daughter.
• Arthur Townsend/Coachman: (Non-featured), age open, 20+; young banker.
This is a community theatre production and actors are unpaid, but head shots, costumes, makeup and refreshments are provided. Actors must be members of Grosse Pointe Theatre to perform in the show.
The annual membership fee is $45. Membership in Grosse Pointe Theatre is open to all persons over age 18 with an interest in theatre.
Grosse Pointe Theatre, is a non-profit 501 (c) (3) organization. Call 313-881-4004 for more information.