As police investigate a recent attempted burglary of a Washington Road home, Sgt. Mike Almeranti reminds residents to be mindful of being away and to take action during the absence.
In the Washington Road case, the father of the homeowner was checking up on the home while the homeowner and her husband were on vacation. He went to the house March 31 to find things out of place and the door to the garage was damaged and slightly ajar. It appeared nothing had been taken but police advised the couple to let them know if they discovered anything missing, according to a police report.
The case spurred Almeranti to send out an alert warning residents to take precautions when they are away. With spring break starting this afternoon, the reminder is rather timely as many Grosse Pointers prepare to leave for vacation.
To protect your home during vacation or other absences:
- Have someone keep an eye on the house and stop by.
- Leave lights on.
- Use timers to turn on radios and televisions, and alter the times.
- Notify the police department of your extended time away and ask that your home be placed on a special watch list.
- Ask neighbors to park in your driveway.
- Place mail and newspapers on hold.
- Have an alarm, set it and register with the city.