, and firefighters rescued a disabled resident from her home near Kercheval Avenue and Neff Road Sunday.
The resident was on the first floor of a two-family home on Neff Road, Director of Public Safety Stephen Poloni said.
Responding crews found a fire had started in the walls near the fireplace and crept upward, Lt. Ed Tujaka said. The resident was in her late 70s and bedridden. Firefighters had to remove her before attending to the fire, which was on the second floor, Tujaka said.
She was not injured as the fire was not near her location in the home, he said.
The crews diligently worked on the fire after successfully removing her and ultimately the duplex did not sustain much damage, Tujaka said.