More and more political campaigning signs are popping up on the lawns of Grosse Pointers each day as the Aug. 7 primary election draws closer.
There are a variety of races in the Grosse Pointes, including U.S. Senator, U.S. Representative, Michigan Representative and Wayne County Commissioner. There are also several seats being sought that serve all of Wayne County, including prosecutor, sheriff, clerk and more.
In August, voters will narrow the field for the Nov. 6 general election, which includes the presidential race. The last day to register for the August Primary is July 9.
Due to redistricting last year for the Michigan House of Representatives, the Grosse Pointes are now divided into two districts rather than one, meaning Pointers will be voting on different candidates.
The first district includes: Grosse Pointe Woods, Grosse Pointe Shores, Harper Woods and part of Detroit. The second district includes: the City of Grosse Pointe, Grosse Pointe Farms, Grosse Pointe Park and part of Detroit.
Despite strong opposition of splitting up the Grosse Pointes, the re-districting was approved by the governor and some officials are concerned that it dilutes resprentation for the Pointes in Lansing.
Here are the positions and those seeking the election. Candidates with campaign websites have been hyperlinked to their website for more information:
- Debbie Stabenow, of Lansing
- Clark Durant, of Grosse Pointe Farms
- Gary Glenn, of Midland
- Randy Hekman, of Grand Rapids
- Pete Hoekstra, of Holland
U.S. Representative -- 14th District
- Hansen Clarke, of Detroit
- Bob Costello, of Detroit
- Brenda Lawrence, of Southfield
- Gary Peters, of Detroit
- Mary Waters, of Detroit
- John Hauler, of Grosse Pointe Woods
Michigan State Representative -- 1st DISTRICT (Grosse Pointe Shores, Grosse Pointe Woods, Harper Woods and part of Detroit)
- Brian R. Banks, of Detroit
- Scott Benson, of Detroit
- Christopher Cavanaugh, of Detroit
- Valerie Kindle, of Harper Woods
- Gregory Robinson, of Detroit
- Dan Schulte, of Grosse Pointe Shores
Michigan State Representative -- 2nd DISTRICT (Grosse Pointe Farms, City of Grosse Pointe, Grosse Pointe Park and part of Detroit)
- Tim Bledsoe, of the City of Grosse Pointe
- Alberta Tinsley Talabi, of Detroit
- Anthony Zander, of Detroit
- Daniel Corrigan Grano, of Grosse Pointe Park
Wayne County Commissioner -- 1st District
- Frank Accavitti, Jr., of Grosse Pointe Shores
- Tim Killeen, of Detroit
- Shirley Hanna Nagel, of Grosse Pointe Farms
- Robert Sheehy, of Grosse Pointe Woods