Among the many events scheduled in the Grosse Pointes this week, here are some of the highlights:
1. Trash collection will be delayed by one day in most of the Grosse Pointes beginning Wednesday July 4, which is Independence Day. City offices in all five of the Grosse Pointes are closed that day and the Woods offices will remain closed Thursday, July 5 as an unpaid furlough day for employees. For those with garbage collection on Friday, it'll happen Saturday.
2. The city council will meet Monday beginning at 7:30 p.m. According to the agenda, the council will discuss the following:
- a contract for court collections
- the 2013 fiscal year plan for the Detroit Area Agency on Aging
- a fence variance being requested by residents in the 2100 block of Stanhope
Originally, the council had also been scheduled to meet as the Zoning Board of Appeals for a couple on Lochmoor Boulevard, but they cancelled the hearing, according to the council agenda.
3. The Grosse Pointe Woods city council will meet as the committee of the whole Monday beginning at 8 p.m. According to the agenda, the committee will discuss the following:
- the employee handbook
- the usage rules and procedures for Cook Schoolhouse
- water and sewer rates
- ballot proposal information
4. will related to the search for a new principal. The forum is intended for residents and parents to provide feedback about what qualities and features they would like to see in the future principal.
5. The emergency sirens will be tested Saturday July 7 beginning at 1 p.m. as part of the routine monthly test to ensure the system is working properly.