It’s a crazy-busy stretch here for the Pick of the Week staff, with all kinds of playoffs under way and a slew of seasons coming to an end.
That said, it’s also a very exciting time for prep sports fans.
With that in mind, let’s take our weekly look back at the week that was, and check out the week that lies ahead.
- For starters, congrats to They captured a district championship Friday night with a victory over Lake Shore.
- Kudos also go out to local Reggie Lews (GPS), Jadon Cook (GPN) and Shawn Miller (GPN). All three wrestlers competed at the state finals this past weekend and did their community proud.
- Hats off to the boys hockey squads from South, North and Liggett that wrapped up the season this week despite losses in the state tourney. The Blue Devils and Norsemen fell to De La Salle, 5-1 and 6-1 respectively, while Liggett bowed out thanks to a 2-1 loss to Country Day.
- POW also wants to mention the great district opener played Monday night between the Grosse Pointe North and Grosse Pointe South girls hoops teams. The was yet another classic in a rivalry that is among the best in the area.
- Congrats also go out to University Liggett’s girls hoops team. The Lady Knights captured a district title with a victory over Detroit PEC, 70-21.
A Look Ahead
- The boys tip off the postseason with showdowns March 7. Grosse Pointe South plays host to district action and squares off against Lake Shore High at 7 p.m, while the Norsemen battle Lakeview earlier the same evening, with tip-off scheduled for 5:30 p.m. The Knights find themselves playing host to Detroit PEC Prep March 7 at 6:30 p.m.
- The Lady Norsemen and the Knights continue their state title chase in the regional round Tuesday night. North plays Regina at home beginning at 7 p.m., while Liggett travels to Lutheran Northwest to lock horns with Madison Heights Bishop Foley March 8.