When they were young, they played on backyard rinks, canals and frozen lakes just like many hockey players today who take the ice along Lake St. Clair.
"The whole concept behind the outdoor games is that it is how a lot of us learned to skate, outside on ice. We recreated that and set up a small rink that we put little kids on," Don Renzulli, NHL executive vice president of events, told Time.
Need to know
- Game time: 1 p.m. at Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor
- Parking lots open: 7 a.m. (See attached PDF for lot locations.)
- Gates open: 10 a.m.
- Bag check: There is a "no bag policy" at Michigan Stadium. Please leave purses and bags at home.
- Spectator Plaza: Enjoy live music, food, beverages and interactive hockey-themed attractions from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Watch on TV: The game will be televised on NBC.