will open its 25th annual season of the popular outdoor concert series—the 2012 Music on the Plaza—Thursday featuring the jazz bands from and high schools.
The free series opens Thursday, June 7 and continues each Thursday through Aug. 2. Some seating is available but concert-goers are encouraged to bring chairs as the St. Clair Street is blocked at Kercheval Avenue from traffic for the performances.
Thursday's opening concert will be co-conducted by David Cleveland and Steve Cross, according to a release from the Village Association.
The season schedule is as follows:
- June 7-- Grosse Pointe North and South jazz bands
- June 14-- Scott Gwinnell Dectet
- June 21-- Alvin Waddles Jazz Quartet
- June 28--The MillionAires
- July 5-- Johnnie Bassett
- July 12-- The Sun Messengers
- July 19--Ron Kischuk's Masters of Music with guest vocalist Shahida Nurrulah
- Aug. 2-- The Detroit Jazz All Stars featuring Jim Wyse and Johnny Trudell
*There is no concert July 26.
In the event of inclement weather, the concerts are moved to . For more information, visit the Village Association's website or call 313-886-7474.