Here are the highlights among the many events, meetings and other activities planned in the Grosse Pointes for this week:
1. The city council will meet Monday Aug. 6 beginning at 7:30 p.m. According to the agenda, the council will discuss:
- a sign variance request by Woods Wholesale Wine in a public hearing
- the use of the tennis courts and a baseball diamond by Grosse Pointe North High School students
- a proposed amendment to an ordinance concerning drunk driving that will allow the city to impose a stiffer penalty to those offenders who have a blood alcohol content exceeding 0.17 percent--more than two times the state's legal limit
The council will follow their official meeting with a Committee of the Whole meeting slated to begin at 8 p.m. According to that agenda, the council will discuss:
- the employee handbook
- a social media policy
- a Grosse Pointe Woods foundation project
- information for ballot proposals
- a usage proposal for Cook School House
2. Grosse Pointers will be lodging their vote Tuesday Aug. 7 in the presidential primary election. In addition to narrowing the field of candidates in the presidetial race, there are several other races involving seats of significance to Grosse Pointers. Below are links to two election guides:
3. The all-Pointes outdoor movie put on by the Departments of Parks and Recreation from the five communities is Saturday Aug. 11 at South High School football field. The movie is 'Dr. Seuss' The Lorax.' It is open to all residents of the Pointes, who must show park passes to be admitted.
4. will make another court appearance this week with his new attorney. He is scheduled to appear before Third Circuit Court Judge Bruce Morrow Tuesday morning related to . He was .